This course discusses the major steps of development beginning with the formation of the sperm and the egg to the final form of the organism, including organ and limb development. Students will be encouraged to explore several major topics in developmental biology, including:
1) How does an animal embryo arise from a fertilized egg?
2) What questions do developmental biologists ask about embryos?
3) How do developmental biologists study embryos?
4) How do genes control development?
5) How does developmental biology impact society?
The lectures will highlight both historical and very recent findings in the genetic regulation of development, while the lab will give students a chance to explore development of many different organisms.